Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Defining Moment in America


Today was a really special day for me. Besides dominating in my finals today, I got to watch Barack Obama's Inauguration live on TV. Now usually I'm pessimistic about politics in general after drowning myself in the Zeigeist documentaries, and being so paranoid about the government for so long. However today was different. I never forget that America's greatness doesn't come from the government. Yup, It's the people that make it great. Americans have been able to overcome many hardships as a country through unity and determination. We have fought for freedom and prosperity countless of times. We overcame a Revolution, a Civil War, survived a depression, fought in World Wars, destroyed segregation, and many other accomplishments. Americans did it together. We have come out of deep shit, stronger and more united every time. Obama, I believe is our generations defining moment. He is our Lincoln, FDR, JFK, MLK, you name it! Call me naive if you'd like, but you should take the time to listen to the man. Whenever he makes a speech, the people around him are filled with hope and confidence. I too am one of these people invoked with hope and determination for a better tomorrow. I really believe he can change the country for the better, and help us overcome this crisis. To this day, I have never been more proud of being an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment